Thank You…Thank You Very Much


Donn James

So the big news is they’re having an Elvis impersonator contest and the winners get “cash & prizes!”  My question is “why?”  I’m embarrassingly old enough to remember Elvis and while I liked his voice, I could have done without the flared pants, scarves and karate chops that punctuated his act.  And his movies were bad then and even worse now if you happen to catch one at 2:30 in the morning between infomercials.  Anyone remember Mary Tyler Moore as the makeup-wearing nun?  What about his roles in the movies?  He must have been the original James Bond because in a succession of movies he was a singing pilot, singing cliff diver, singing race car driver, singing cowboy, singing surfer and singing trapeze artist.  Sense a theme?  I guess my point is that he’s been gone for 35 years and that’s a generation and a half in earth years.  Even if you remember him, your children and your children’s children do not.  Worse, let’s say you exposed your children to his music; they would say they didn’t like him just because you do.  This calls into question the necessity of a contest to pick the person who best pretends to be another person that 70% of the world doesn’t know.  And of the remaining 30% of us…10% loved him, 10% didn’t, and 10% of us are too old to remember our own names.  I really don’t know who they’re getting to judge this…maybe Dick Clark and the last survivor from the Titanic.  And how far will we go to have a contest?  Will the Pillsbury Bake-Off now give a prize to the best cake that pretends to be a pie?  Anyway, best of luck to all the Elvis impersonators and the 8 old people in the crowd.  As far as I’m concerned, Elvis has a permanent place in the history of our music but, for me, his lasting legacy is the peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich.

It’s not really that different in business.  There are times when almost any promotional product will do but there are as many times when you client wants something special.  The IMC answer for those times is a branded item.  You don’t want something pretending to be something else.  Brands have a higher remembrance rate, they are more appreciated and when used by cause events, branded premiums result in greater donations for the cause.  You can look to MoMA for a variety of items or Waterford® or Visconti if you need one of the finest pens ever made.  We have 28 brands from which to choose in addition to our 5 IMC lines.  Whatever your event, you can count on IMC for ideas and advice that will promote and support your client’s wishes.  And we’re always happy to offer ideas and provide case histories.  What do you think?  Let us know with a comment here or on Facebook or TwitterIMC wants to hear from you



About IMC

IMC is a prime manufacturer and supplier of products to the promotional products industry. We sell only to qualified promotional products distributors. ASI supplier, PPAI supplier. Our lines include our own IMC lines and 26 branded lines.
This entry was posted in Promotional Products and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.